Do you keep falling asleep in meetings and seminars? What about those long and boring conference calls? Here's a way to change all of that.
1. Before (or during) your next meeting, seminar, or conference call, prepare your "Bullshit Bingo" card by drawing a square -- I find that 5" x 5" is a good size -- and dividing it into columns --five across and five down. That will give you 25 1-inch blocks.
2. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block: synergy, strategic fit, core competencies, out of the box, bottom line, revisit, take that off-line, 24/7, out of the loop, benchmark, value-added, proactive, win-win, think outside the box, fast track, result-driven, empower (or empowerment), knowledge! e base, at the end of the day, touch base, mindset, client focus(ed), ballpark, game plan, leverage.
3. Check off the appropriate block when you hear one of those words/phrases.
4. When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, stand up and shout "BULLSHIT!"
Testimonials from satisfied "Bullshit Bingo" players:
* "I had been in the meeting for only five minutes when I won." -- Jack W., Boston
* "My attention span at meetings has improved dramatically." -- David D., Florida
* "What a gas! Meetings will never be the same for me after my first win." --Bill R., New York City
* "The atmosphere was tense in the last process meeting as 14 of us waited for the fifth box." --Ben G., Denver
* "The speaker was stunned as eight of us screamed
"BULLSHIT!" for the third time in two
hours." --Kathleen L., Atlanta